Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 goals, December roundup

And just like that, 2013 is here and gone. Wasn't it just yesterday I was proclaiming all the goals I had for the year, and my plan of action to accomplish them? All in all I'd say I did fairly well, considering all that has gone on this year in our family. But I did learn a few things about goal setting.

1. Don't make such a long list when you are still a newbie parent.
2. Don't make such a long list when you are still a newbie parent.
3. Don't make such a long list when you are still a newbie parent.

So what are my goals for 2014? I'll touch on that in a separate post. No goals this year per say, just some key words I want to focus on throughout the New Year.


For now, here is how December 2013 went down . . .

(Per usual, just sticking with recipes and scriptures. I did do a little bit of computer clean up, some blogging, and some zero reading, but I am OK with that!)

Recipes
Stove Top Stuffed Chicken - Usually I avoid any recipe that calls for stuffing and rolling meat, because seriously, who has time for that? But this was easy, super tasty, and went along with the overall holiday feel since you use lots of good old fashioned stove top! (You know you like it. Don't try to deny.)

Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles - Made these for Christmas dinner. To. Die. For. A tad labor intensive (we cooked the bacon slightly in a pan before wrapping/baking in oven) but worth it!

Corn Casserole - So easy & so delicious. . . & so not healthy. . . ha!

Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes - Made this with my sis. We made it extra nutritious by also adding cream cheese, and by increasing the amount of butter and sour cream. Oh, and we used butter milk. When you are 36+ weeks pregnant and it is Christmas day, stuff like extra butter & sour cream don't really matter. Or that is what I told myself anyway. Hey, at least we added one sweet potato to the mix to give it some extra vitamins.

Yay for cooking this month even if most of the ingredients are on every heart doctors "naughty" list!

Scriptures
To end the year I selected back to back scriptures from Psalm 40.

Psalm 40:2-3 "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. (3) He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."

There are several personal applications I could make to this verse, but here is the biggest impact for me. . .

2013 was a year full of testing and therapy for Clara. I would have to go back and search blog posts to even truly remember all that went on, all the different Dr's, all the different appointments, and all the different opinions and treatment options (this is exactly why I blog. . . so I will remember). January of 2013 was when we were just a few weeks into her OT and testing. God has brought us a long way since that time. As scary as it might be, and as unsettling as some of the "what ifs" of Cohen Syndrome, God has "lifted us out of the pit, mud, and mire and gave us a firm place to stand," by giving us an answer. A diagnosis. A place where we can confidently put the testing and past behind, and move forward. He has put a new song in our mouth. He has given us a rock to stand on; He has given us a foundation where we can praise and thank Him, and continue to trust His plan for our daughter (and future daughter/children). And our hope, through all of that, is that "many will see" and also put their trust in our amazing God.



Does this mean we won't ever question her future or worry about outcomes? No. We most likely will. Probably even later today. But when those feelings arise we can reflect back on Psalm 40:2-3 with hope, thanks, and praise.



Photos courtesy of Tiffany Fetter

Our family is blessed by each and every one of you. Thank you for your love, support and encouragement these past 12 months. I hope you all have a lovely last day of 2013, and a safe and joyous start to the New Year!

4 comments

  1. I love all those pictures!!! Glad we got to see y'all last night (and finally meet Brandon and Clara) - you guys are such a cute little fam :) Excited for all that 2014 has in store for you guys with Camille's arrival and with being able to move forward with treatment for sweet Clara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....LOOOVE those family pictures!! Her glasses are so sweet!!! I know 2013 was testing (haha) for yall...but I'm so thankful for your friendship and support throughout the year! And I can't wait to meet you in 2014!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been quite a year for your sweet family for sure! I'm thankful for how much of a source of encouragement you have been for me even in the midst of all that's been on your plate, and also thankful to get to watch how God has/is working in your life, most especially with His recent surprise provision of baby Camille!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you, friend. And so proud of you! Tearing up as I read this. You are a true inspiration and example of faith. Beautiful, beautiful family pics. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.