Saturday, April 7, 2012

36 week pregnancy update. . . honeydew baby

Just hit 36 weeks! I am now going to the Dr weekly for check ups. My last appointment on 4/5/12 confirmed that Clara is head down. I will have an ultrasound next week to get a better estimate of her size and current weight. Can't wait! I am getting so excited to meet her! 

36 weeks 

Baby should soon descend into your pelvis, which will give your lungs a little room to breathe (literally). The bad news: This puts the brunt of baby's weight on your hips and pelvis, and will make them pretty sore. Add in your ever-loosening ligaments, and you may soon be taking on that oh-so-adorable pregnancy waddle.


                 Baby's now the size of a honeydew!
Baby's skin is getting smooth and soft, her gums are rigid, her liver and kidneys are in working order, and her circulation and immune system are basically good to go. Her lungs are the only organs that still need to fully mature, but every day she gets a little closer to breathing on her own.

How I am feeling and How I am changing:
At 36 weeks I am feeling pretty good! I have noticed I am a lot more tired and it is way more difficult to bend over, crouch down, get up and down off the floor, etc, but that just comes with the territory. I feel like I am going to the bathroom constantly and sleeping. . . well that just depends on the night.
  
Swelling continues to be my most severe symptom although I have noticed a slight improvement in the last two days. I have resorted to wearing support hose daily (at some point you just got to do what you got to do) and these seem to take a lot of the pressure off of my ankles during the day. I have two different pair of hose. The second pair I purchased at a medical supply store near my house. The store manager explained that to get a proper fit he would need to measure my ankles and calves. Are you ready for this people? My left ANKLE measured 9 and 3/4 inches. Yes I said ankle. My right clocked in at 8 and1/2 inches. Ha! The sweet manager tried to contain his amazement and said "This is some pretty bad swelling. I have seen swelling before but I'll say. . . this is pretty bad."
 
I have going to my acupuncturist since 33 weeks and when he noticed the severity of my swelling he suggested I come weekly until delivery. We all know I am not one to argue acupuncture (my favorite thing ever) so I gladly welcomed the weekly treatments back into my life. He also gave me a calcium/magnesium supplement to take at night to treat the swelling and also the restless leg that I get in the evenings. (My OB ok'ed the treatments and the supplement). I really do think this combo, along with my super trendy support hose, is helping to reduce some of the swelling.
 
Funny story - The 4 year old I nanny during the day said to me this week "Ms. Brittnie, My mommy said people aren't supposed to wear socks with flip flops. Why do you have these really thick socks on with your flip flops?"I replied "Well these are special socks that make Ms. Brittnie's feet feel better." He says "Oh ok, but I think it looks kinda funny." Me too, kid. Me too. 

And for your viewing pleasure some photos of the cankles . . .
When you press on my feet you can make different shapes. Fun right?
And a belly shot. . .
36 week belly shot 

What I am eating and What I am thinking:
For the longest time I was getting really hungry and then after eating a small portion would feel stuffed. Like . . . I literally ate a cow and had no room to stomach any more food. This = less food at typical meal times and more snacks in between. Now that she has dropped I am able to eat a regular sized meal without feeling like I have a ten pound brick in my stomach. 

Foods that are sounding good these days: 
cold cereal, waffles with peanut butter and syrup, hummus on toast, fruit, cashews, greek yogurt, homemade thin crust pizza, red meat (although chicken sounds good too!), Chickfila salads, and tacos from Freebirds or any like restaurant. Oh and how can I forget the chips and salsa. And ice cream. You get the idea. I could go on and on. I have also been craving crushed ice like mad. I know ice isn't considered a food but I literally carry a reusable cup filled with crusted ice and cold water around with me everywhere. So simple yet oh so good.   

Foods that are not sounding good these days:
Salmon, shrimp, most all seafood, hot oatmeal and any type of hot drink 

My thoughts these days pretty much consist of the following:
1 - what Clara will look like?
2 - when she will make her arrival?
3 - what it is going to feel like to transition to a stay at home mom?
4 - breastfeeding - Will it work? Will it not? etc 
5 - In less than a month Brandon and I will no longer just be "Brandon and I." While this is something we have prayed for and are beyond thankful to God for, I am trying to cherish these last few weeks as our little family of two.       

Random info:
Weight gain - 26 pounds
Braxton hicks - not yet from what I can tell
Workouts - "power" walking maybe 2x a week (I know, shame on me)
Nursery organization progress - We have done a lot! The walls are painted and the crib, changer, and glider are set up. We even have a few things hanging on the walls. I washed all the NB - 6 month clothes as well as blankets, sheets, baby towels, etc. and have what I feel is a good organizational system down for now. Of course I am sure this will change once Clara is here and I am using everything on a daily basis.
Childbirth classes - check! Attended an all day class at the end of March. We really enjoyed it. 
Clara's movement - all over the place! Definitely the coolest part of pregnancy!

I'll post nursery pictures once the room is complete! Almost there! Just working on the curtains and some other wall decor.  That wraps up week 36. Unless I deliver early I will have another update at 40 weeks! Have a great weekend and enjoy your Easter Sunday!

PSALM 139:14
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, 
I know that full well.

PSALM 13:6
"I will sing the LORD’s praise, for he has been good to me." 

24 week pregnancy update 

14 comments

  1. Home stretch! I am so glad everything is going well. I am sorry about the swelling. I know that is no fun and can be hard towards the end! Hang in there! You are an inspiration! Love the update and I am so happy for you! Love the glow and joy I see in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Looking good, mama! So excited for you that it's getting so close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! Aside from the swelling, it seems like everything is going great. I'm jealous of all your nursery organization. I'm dying to get that underway! Enjoy your last few weeks with your man, and cherish all those movements Clara is giving you! I am SO going to miss that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're looking so cute, swelling and all! Can't wait to meet this miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Those are some ankles girl. Praying that your swelling goes down, it has to be painful. I just found out that we are pregnant with our second child. I hope that your delivery goes smoothly and that you have a happy healthy baby. Clara is a beautiful name! Happy Easter to you and happy baby time. For the most part I love being a stay at home mom, I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Congrats to you as well! :) What an exciting time. Have a great Easter.

      Delete
  6. It is fun to hear about all your preparations for little Clara! I can't wait to see that nursery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see what your little girl looks like too, and then they change so much at first it's like 'surprise' every day.

    I have never been to an acupuncturist but would try anything if I had that swelling, I hope it disappears as soon as Clara is born.

    And your little charge is right, socks with flip flops are a no-no, such a cute little one. 4 year olds have no filter. Whatever is said at home you will know about. I work in the primary at our church and their honesty is so cute. And enlightening. Want the scoop? Ask a 4 year old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! Kids are so adorable and you are right.... they totally have NO filter. Pretty funny.

      Delete
  8. You look amazing for 36 weeks! Your sweet little girl will be here so soon... we just started working on the nursery...fun but exhausting! Will you post some pics of the finished nursery?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will post some pictures when the nursery is done. Maybe in the next week or so!

      Delete
  9. You look fantastic!! Loving your blog. newest reader!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap! Your ankles are HUGE! That must feel so uncomfortable. But hey...anything that calls for more acupuncture is good, right? :) The rest of you looks amazing, even if your feet are a bit uncomfortable looking! I love your little baby bump.

    I also love how prayerfully and thoughtfully you guys are making this transition. It's been fun to read about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I mean they really are huge. Ha! :) I really do look down and laugh at my feet on some days!

      Delete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.