Sunday, January 15, 2012

24 week pregnancy update. . . papaya baby

It has been four weeks since our big gender reveal ultrasound. We have been busy thinking about all things baby girl and are so thrilled that things continue to go well. I say this in each pregnancy update but I cannot believe how fast time is passing. 
We are 24 weeks along. . . crazy!
I go Tuesday 1/17/12 for my next OB appointment and glucose test. I don't suspect that my glucose levels will be a concern but then again, you never know. Either way we will just take it one day at a time. No sense of worrying about anything I cannot (ultimately) control, right? Right. 

Week 24

Size and development of baby:
Clara is the size of a papaya this week. This is a fruit that I sang about a church camp every summer (do any of you have a clue what song I am talking about?) but never really knew what it looked like, until I got my bump.com email this week. I don't think I have ever tasted a papaya either? Anyways, she is growing each day and I can't wait to hear her heartbeat again on Tuesday! Week 24 is the first time I really started feeling her move around! The flutters are now more frequent & she has also pressed (or kicked?) on my belly hard enough where Brandon was able to feel her too! 

Baby's skin is becoming more opaque as the fat starts to pack on. And, thanks to the formation of small capillaries, her newly thick skin is taking on a fresh pink glow.

How I am feeling and How I am changing:
I feel like a broken record but I feel great! I could not have asked for an easier pregnancy thus far. Of course I am starting to experience normal symptoms that come with being farther along but it is nothing out of the ordinary. At the end of a long day my lower back is sore as well as my feet. A few days last week, after the weather was especially hot, I got home from work and noticed that my feet were starting to swell. I just try to elevate my feet when I'm relaxing at home and have soaked them a few times in hot water and epsom salt. That seems to do the trick. Oh and I mentioned this in my 20 week update but I still have those reddish/purplish patches around my ankles. They are starting to spread more and I plan to ask my OB about this Tuesday. It doesn't itch or hurt so I'm not too concerned and I read that skin changes are normal during pregnancy, as your body is adjusting to new hormone levels and a higher blood volume. My hair is still falling out in crazy handfuls. Good thing God blessed me with a head of hair for 20 people so even with all that I am loosing, it is hardly making a dent.  

I recently had several people tell me "Wow, you really look pregnant now." Yes I sure do. See below. It seems that over the last four weeks my belly has, without a doubt, popped out. I absolutely love it. Doesn't bother me a bit. Nor does my weight that is creeping up on the scale. 
Praise God!

24 week belly shot

What I am eating and What I am thinking:
I have some days when I feel ravenous all. day. long. I have other days when I hardly feel hungry. Regardless I try to make healthy choices and nourish my body well, with occasional spoonfuls bowls of this amazingly addicting treat thrown in for good measure. 
To balance it all out I try to make these green monster smoothies at least once a week. Sound gross? It isn't. Despite the bright green appearance, you cannot taste the spinach at all!! The key is using frozen banana and fresh baby spinach (not frozen spinach!). I usually add a spoonful of peanut butter too. It tastes just like a banana peanut butter smoothie. 
Don't knock it till you try it! 

Foods that sound delicious:
cold cereal, hummus on toast, chickfila nuggets (have I listed this each time??), homemade stir fry, chips and salsa, red meat, cashews, and trail mix

Foods that do not sound delicious:
Salmon (weird b/c pre pregnancy I LOVED it, now... not so much) and other seafood

What has been on my brain lately? Tackling the overwhelming process that is the baby registry. Seriously, who knew there are 800 types of bottles, bibs, pacifiers, car seats and strollers? Um yes it's true. Thanks to some advice from my older sister, good friends, and Consumer Reports, I think we are done!!! I have also started researching and calling around to pediatricians to ask questions and see if they will be taking new patients come May. I got us preregistered at the hospital and signed us up for childbirth classes the end of March. Oh... and we selected our baby bedding. A big thanks to my mom and dad for ordering the main four piece bundle as a gift, and to Brandon's parents for ordering the elephant wall art and mobile. I LOVE IT and cannot wait to start painting the nursery (probably the green you see here) and setting things up. 


We spent the majority of last weekend cleaning out the junk room/office that will be the nursery. We even have the entire closet cleared out. For any of you that know how packed that closet was pre clean, I am sure you stand amazed. I have no idea how we did it, but it's checked off the list! I say we have done a lot over the last few weeks. A big thanks to Brandon because of course he was a team player and helped out so much! 

That wraps up week 24. 
Hope you all are having a lovely day!

PSALM 139:14
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, 
I know that full well.

PSALM 13:6
"I will sing the LORD’s praise, for he has been good to me." 

10 comments

  1. Cute room- love the elephants!! So glad things are continuing to go well for both you and baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww look at your sweet belly! Adorable :) Glad you are still feeling well. I hope it continues! I love green monster smoothies...if only I could get my husband to try them...he doesn't believe me when I say you can not taste the spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I love the name Clara. It is one of the names that I had as an option for our baby girl. Ultimately, we ended up choosing Analie because our boys really wanted to be able to call her Annie. Baby girls are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love her name so much. It is precious. Once you find bedding it makes getting everything prepared so exciting.

    With my first I got a huge weird rash all across my stomach and all I could eat were carbs.

    Luckily the rash went away and I as soon as I had my kids was able to eat vegetables again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are feeling her a lot these days--and that Brandon did too! That was one of my favorite moments!! :) And, I LOVE the bedding--I can't wait to see her room all put together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your nursery "vision" looks so cute! I love that green color and the bedding. I also love that your baby is a papaya sized baby right now. That's my favorite fruit :) What exciting changes. I would love to know how different it is to walk through building a family in this way vs. how you saw families being built when you worked in adoption. You can feel your baby kick. Was there an equivalent type of moment (maybe the match or the photo?) when you worked in adoption, or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for families that are choosing adoption, an equivalent type of moment of a baby kicking would be when they finally get matched with a birthmother or child. While I knew that I was pregnant b/c my tummy was growing, it all became real once I FELT her. LIkewise, adoptive families start the process, complete the paperwork and wait and wait and while they know "things" are happening it does not yet feel real. For them it becomes real once they get that phone call from their social worker that they in fact have been matched or that a baby has been born and they are the selected parents. Their REAL moment. Does that make sense?

      Delete
    2. Yes. That's kind of what I remember from my sister's adoption (just from the sibling perspective) but I wasn't sure if it was different from the parents' point of view. I'm sure that you heard everything from parents over the years so this is great perspective. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I just saw this post. I LOVE the bedding!!

    ReplyDelete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.