Friday, March 9, 2012

32 week pregnancy update . . . squash baby

Can't really believe that I am now 32 weeks along in this pregnancy. Only 8 weeks to go! (Maybe more or maybe less... who knows!) I have this feeling I will deliver sometime in late April - not really sure why but just a gut feeling. Here's this month's update:

Your baby at 32 weeks (Source):
She's getting ready for her descent -- she's likely in the head-down position now. And she's probably feeling a even more cramped.

At 32 weeks, baby’s birth still seems kind of far away, but you and baby are physically ready in a lot of ways, just in case there’s an early arrival. Baby may have turned so she’s in the head-down position by now, poised for her trip down the birth canal. And you may have noticed your nipples looking darker. That’s so a preemie can see them for breastfeeding -- isn't your body so amazing? Intensity might be building in the symptoms department, as heartburn and contractions intensify around week 32. But we’re guessing you’re so excited about baby’s impending arrival, they’re not slowing you down much.
Your baby's the size of a squash!
Still growing, your baby weighs in at about 2.5 to 3.8 pounds and measures about 15.2 to 16.7 inches. 

How I am feeling & How I am changing:
I am feeling great at 32 weeks pregnant. I am definitely more tired by the end of the day and doing things with the two boys I nanny is getting progressively more difficult (ex: getting up & off the floor in a timely manner, pushing them on the swings for 30 minutes and feeling tired, etc, you get the idea). I went power walking with a friend on Monday for a solid hour and by the end I was wiped out. Oh how things change. How in the world do women run marathons in their 3rd trimester? Oh I know. . . they actually work out pre-pregnancy and then just continue on in their fitness routine. Power walking are the only two words in my "fitness routine." :)


Let's see. . . My back, sides and tummy itch All. The. Time. My sleep is sporadic. One night I will be out cold all night long (Monday night = 7:30pm-5:30am!), and the next I will be up every hour staring at the ceiling (Tuesday night = up 11am, 12am, 1am, etc etc). My hair doesn't seem to be falling out at the rapid pace that I previously mentioned. It actually seems to be growing stronger, and same for my nails, which is a nice change. Heartburn = yes. Braxton hicks contractions = not yet, at least not any that I have noticed.   

The swelling that I mentioned in this post is about the same if not worse. It is quite humorous I must admit. The swelling is much more significant in my left leg & foot compared to my right. The bruising is also much worse on the left side. During church two weeks ago Brandon looked down and started laughing. I whisper "What???" He then replies "It looks like your skin is seriously overtaking your shoe." Aww. . . How sweet. And that was the last day I attempted to wear flat, closed toe "semi nice" shoes. Flip flops now appear  daily, even on Sunday morning. I have no shame. I don't really even qualify for the category of cankles anymore. By 9pm I no longer have a cankle but more like one continuous leg. Need some proof? Here's some pictures just for kicks. Enjoy. Or be grossed out.  Your choice. I really can't tell which pic is the worse... Ok maybe the last one? I shudder just looking at it.

See that indention in my left foot in the last picture, under my big toe? Yeah. . . that's from my flip flop. Awesome. I had my Dr's appointment yesterday and my blood pressure is fantastic (and no traces of protein in my urine) so the Dr is not concerned at all with the swelling. 


I have gained a total of 22 pounds, which is fine with me and the Dr. I do wonder how much of the gain is from the crazy swelling vs a normal gain if I was not swelling so severely? Doesn't matter but I am curious. 


My feet/ankles/cankles/legs are not the only thing growing these days. My tummy has definitely made some progress over the last four weeks. I love it though. . . I really do.

32 week belly shot  


What I am eating & What I am thinking:
No major changes in the food department. I'm still enjoying cold cereal in the mornings and this Chickfila Southwest Salad any chance I can get! Smoothies sound good and basically everything I mentioned in this post  regarding food still holds true. Bring on the tortilla chips, cashews, dark chocolate and peanut butter. And yogurt and ice cream! The only thing that (still) sounds gross is various types of fish/seafood. Sometimes shrimp will sound OK but then halfway through a meal I have to abort ship. Nasty. 


Thoughts: Thinking about our baby shower coming up on Saturday, March 17th! So excited to celebrate with lots of family and friends. Oh, we just now started working on the nursery. A big thanks to Brandon and my brother for painting last weekend. We have quite a bit more work to do but it will all get done eventually. (Side note: the Benjamin Moore paint color "Tasty Apple" is much brighter on an actual wall than on a sample.  Just saying... my brother feels "tennis ball" is a much better description.) Like I said... we have a lot of work to do. 


A few weeks ago I had a very vivid pregnancy dream. I was in labor for three days (say what???) and for some reason not a lot of progress was being made. My Dr. kept calmly & gently telling me "Brittnie, you need to push harder or she will not come out." He basically repeated this a million times in my dream and I must have believed him b/c I actually woke myself up from a dead sleep b/c I started to actually PUSH. When I woke up I was a bit confused and it took me a few seconds to realize that indeed I had just been dreaming. 


Clara is moving A LOT these days which is amazing and of course makes me think of her every time I feel a kick, punch or roll type movement. Lastly, I think a lot about what Clara will look like - eye color, hair color (if she has any), facial features, etc. Counting down the days until I can see for myself!  


That's all for week 32! See ya in four weeks! 


PSALM 139:14
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, 
I know that full well.

PSALM 13:6
"I will sing the LORD’s praise, for he has been good to me." 

24 week pregnancy update 
28 week pregnancy update   

10 comments

  1. Cankles or not, I think you look great!! Glad you and Clara are still healthy... can't wait for her to make her arrival!

    Oh, and thanks for your sweet note in the mail- we definitely did not think you all were strange, psycho, etc... as long as you promise you didn't think that about us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Towards the end of my first pregnancy I was wearing crocs (because there was still snow on the ground) and at the end of the day I would have little circles all over the tops of my feet...they were that swollen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sporadic sleep is getting you ready for lots of interrupted sleep, but it's so worth it. I hope you're putting your feet up every chance you get. A good friend had the exact same swelling problem, towards the end she didn't even wear shoes.

    You look beautiful and we all can't wait to see your beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who was that friend who made you walk so long you were wiped out? Dreadful!! :)

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look adorable! Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so beautiful! The swelling looks painful and uncomfortable more than anything. I think Clara is a beautiful name and I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh! I can not believe you are 32 weeks! SO soon you meet your little girl! You still look absolutely amazing! oh and I love eating cold cereal in the morning...well anytime really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations... you are almost there! Swelling or not- you look amazing! I will say the swelling looks painful, but you honestly look beautiful! It will all be worth it once that precious girl is in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look gorgeous! seriously, just glowing and so pretty. in the foot pictures, the swelling looks so uncomfortable though - i hope it resolves or at least doesn't get any worse!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so behind on my blog reading!! 32 weeks... Time is flying, huh?! Your poor little ankles and feet look like they're hurting so badly!! You poor thing! I'm sure it will all be well worth it when Miss Clara is in your arms though :) You still look absolutely precious!!

    ReplyDelete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.