Monday, February 10, 2014

On two kids under two. . . aka the comedy that is getting out the door by 7:45am

So last week was the first week totally, 100% on my own with both girls. Yes, Camille was three weeks old and I do understand how fortunate I am/was to have had so much help those past three weeks. Until then, I was not allowed to drive or lift Clara at all, due to restrictions associated with the c section.  So up until that point, Clara was spending the night at my parents a lot (b/c Brandon leaves early for work and I wouldn't have been able to lift her out of bed in the morning, lift her to her high chair, etc) and then they would bring her over every day so I could get some time with her. Or, she would sleep at our house & I would have help come first thing in the morning. On the weekends she would be home with us, since Brandon would be around to help with Clara's care.

Remember. . . she is aproximately 23 pounds and doesn't yet walk. :)

That said. . . So last Thursday. I was a little very nervous going into last Thursday. Clara has speech therapy at 8am, which meant we have to be in the car by 7:45am. 7:45AM. It is truly crazy how long it can take to get out the door with a toddler and a newborn. I am sure I will get the hang of it over time. Please just tell me this is so. But for now. . .  hello nursing, feeding, pumping, cleaning up massive amounts of Camille's spit up, changing approximately 500 diapers, cleaning more spit up, packing a bag the size of my house,  cleaning more spit up. . . I think you get the idea.

Oh and not to mention I still hadn't quite figured out how to operate our double stroller (aka a stroller the size of Texas) so I was toying around with just how I was going to unload two babies and get them up to Clara's appointment. . . on the 3rd floor of Texas Children's therapy bldg.

Do I put Camille in the Bjorn/sling and Clara in the umbrella stroller?

Leave Camille in the single stroller in her infant seat, push it with one hand, and carry Clara on my hip?

Suck it up and figure out how to use and haul the double stroller? Nope. . . we got no time for that this morning. 

Carry both babies simultaneously? Jk. Kind of.

Decisions. Decisions. Fueling this decision was four hours of sleep the night prior. Four hrs total. Less you think I meant consecutively. You're funny. Eight hours total in, what was then, the past 48 hours. Not complaining. I'm really not. Just giving the facts. Because the facts are important to understand my frame of mind at that moment. And yep, I pretty much looked like this woman right here. No shame. 

Anyways, I loaded us up (let's not mention I had not showered in 5 days, for real, oh my goodness. Those that know me well know that I certainly do not shower everyday but really, FIVE DAYS ARE YOU KIDDING ME???) and we headed out!

In the rain. . .

Because of course in the rain. . . and of course I didn't think to stash an umbrella in my car. How would I carry an umbrella anyways when carrying a toddler on my hip and pushing a stroller with my other free hand (yep - went with that option)? So really. . . I didn't feel too bad about not having an umbrella. 

And Clara lost a shoe on the way from car to the bldg. . .

And Camille was crying the entire time. . .

Which made Clara cry the entire time. . .

Which made me get all anxious and sweaty and nervous (which is not good when you haven't showered in five days) because both my girls were crying and people were looking at me like "Seriously lady can you not calm your crying children???". . .

But alas, we made it there, only 6 minutes late, crying and all.

So I had considered this a win.

Until both girls managed to spit up all over the therapy play mat. As in, the therapist had to clear all the toys, wad up the mat, and go get another fresh one. I am pretty sure Clara hasn't spit up in like, oh, 12 months, but of course on this morning. Because of course.

So for this week. . . I will learn how to use the double stroller. And pack an umbrella. And make sure my daughters shoes are securely attached before leaving our vehicle. And do whatever I can to help minimize the spit up.

Oh, and take a shower. You're welcome.

This would be me in the pic below. . . except I don't own a dog. And I won't be wearing a dress anytime soon. . .


  1. Ha! Hopefully the whole scene is kind of laughable, now :) Maybe you can just consider it a tough initiation into your new role... surely it will be smooth sailing from here on out, right? ;)

  2. I seriously just LOL'd. Like, my kids are sitting here looking at me, like I'm crazy (which I might be, but that's another issue). I cannot imagine, but because I know you, I know you still outwardly appeared to be completely calm & poised. Love you & all the exciting times we get to share in this crazy life!

  3. You are super mom!! Hang in there and keep the coffee coming! xo

    1. Yes. . . We keep the Keurig on full blast around here! :)

  4. Thanks for your honesty and candidness!!! This looks just like my life :))

  5. Ok, seriously? I think you are SUPERWOMAN! I've been thinking about you and praying for your recovery and transition into life with two little ones. I think the fact that you made it out the door at 7:45 AM with TWO UNDER TWO deserves some sort of medal in itself. Just saying. ;)

    1. Thanks, Jess. I know there are many, many moms that have twins, multiple kids, etc that leave WAY earlier than me and I don't know how they do it! (Looking at you, Amanda J!) Takes time and practice I guess!

  6. Laura HanstromFebruary 10, 2014

    Brittnie! YOU ROCK AND WELL DONE! And I promise you, you will get the hang of it! You will develop a system and a process and then you will glare and growl at anyone that interrupts or disturbs the system! haha! And the double stroller is your new best friend….introduce yourself! :)

  7. Oh Brittnie-

    I've so been there! Actually, I am still there daily! At one point, early on, I couldn't figure out how to fold up the double stroller and ended up just driving to my destination with a stroller hanging out of the trunk of the car! And we had many a days where I would spend hours with one in the sling and one in my arms swaying and bouncing praying to God that Daddy get home soon before we all lose it! And just so you can have hope I was an hour late to my first appointment with the girls alone...and it got progressively better to where I am actually on time now...usually....ok sometimes! But yes, figuring out how to get multiple little ones places without sweating and stress is not an easy thing! :)

  8. Hehe, I love this! By the third kid, I wouldn't leave the house with all the kids unless it was on fire. But yes, it gets easier, mostly when you're done nursing and the older one is, say, five years old. :) Good job being only 6 minutes late, wow!

  9. Eek I'm exhausted/stressed out just reading about it- kind of reminds me of some of my early outings with the twins! But props to you for getting through it and yes, it will only get easier!!

    Oh, and good thing you hadn't showered, because clearly that shower would have been wasted, right? :)

  10. Bless your heart. You are doing an amazing job!!! Hang in there! I promise it will get better.

  11. this is AMAZING and so are you. and i know you will master the double stroller in no time! about the spit up - annabel RARELY does but i swear she times it for the most inopportune moments when it happens!

  12. I am seriously laughing so hard. Not at you, cause it is seriously hard work! But just the great picture you painted. Some days I still feel like getting out the door is mass chaos! But much better than it was, for sure! And the spit up. Oh spit up. That was Emma. Spit up all. the. time!! Hoping the reflex meds are helping somewhat!


© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.