Thursday, July 12, 2012

Some encouragement I found while trying to stay awake during my Monday Night Bible Study

I attend a weekly Bible study on Monday evenings. I meet with a group of women each Monday night from 6:30-8:30pm. We enjoy a nice dinner together and then study the Bible. Oh. . . and did I mention it is held at my mom's house? So seeing her each week is a nice little perk as well.

For the past few months we have been studying different women of the Bible. We don't have a study guide book or weekly homework to complete. Rather we meet together to discuss certain women of the Bible, what they are remembered for, why they are significant, what we can learn from them, etc. This past Monday we were studying women at the cross/tomb, specifically Mary Magdeline and Mary the mother of Joses. The discussion was very interesting yet as I am averaging 4 hours of sleep per night if I'm lucky, my eyes literally would not stay open. Thank you colic. You are really fun. Not.

Anyways, I tried everything.

I chugged a bottle of water. Didn't work.

I pinched the back of my arms. Multiple times on each arm. Didn't work.

I shifted positions more times that I can count. Didn't work.

Finally I decided (in an attempt not to fall into a deep sleep right there on my moms couch, in front of everyone) to flip through my Bible and read some random scripture.

That's when I came across Acts 2:25-28. . .

I saw the Lord always before me.
Because He is my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body will also rest in hope,
because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
you will not let your holy one see decay.
You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence.

I have read this passage of scripture before yet in that moment, these words hit me in a new way. In this life the Lord is always walking before me. Despite the challenges that come my way I will not be shaken. I can rejoice and rest in His promises. I can set aside the false hopes of this world and let my body rest in His hope. All. Day. Long. When I feel like giving up or giving in, because honestly at times it is easier to do so (am I right?), I can press on because I know my Lord will not let me see decay. God has made His promises known to me. I can look back on certain challenges, whether overcoming anorexia or facing infertility, and proclaim with confidence that my Creator has made known His path for me. He will continue to make His path known in my future, regardless of what my future holds. In these promises I can find joy. Today. Not tomorrow. Not when God follows through with the plans I have for myself. Today. Regardless. I can find joy today.

I love how God reveals himself to us when we least expect it. He is so cool like that. While I still left Bible study Monday night sleepy and blurry eyed, I left with a little kick in my step. I left with an extra boost of faith and confidence.

What encouragement has God revealed to you lately?

4 comments

  1. Last night I was pondering grief and the role it plays in our lives and I came across Ps 10:14,17-18
    But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless. You hear, O Lord, the deisre of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of earth, may terrify no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great scripture of encouragement and hope! Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I find when I say both a morning and night prayer my day goes so much better. I am in the habit of the night time prayer so I am still working on the morning one. It makes me realize I need to help my kids get in the habit because it's harder to change and incorporate new things into your life as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading Job and Luke and Revelations right now in my Daily Bible Reading and most of it has been depressing. The death of Jesus, The horrible events at the end of time, and the groanings of Job. But through it all I can find hope. Hope to know who has conquered the grave and who wins in the end. All the grumblings and groanings I mumble throughout my life will be vindicated when I see my Jesus! Still praying for the colic to be cured and sweet sleep for you my dear!

    ReplyDelete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.