Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Seven (Random) Things Keeping Me Sane

It's summer which means the little people are home from school and depending on where you live, the heat is is full force.

As in, it is 500,000 degrees in Texas.

The lack of structure that summer brings combined with the instant shower you experience the second you walk out the door can leave one, well, feeling a lot of emotions.

Thus, I present you with seven completely random things that are keeping me sane. No, this is not a Pinterest perfected summer schedule for ages 0-6 nor do any one of these items help combat the heat + humidity situation here in Texas, but each and every one is bringing a smile to my face and so I decided an entire blog post was in order.

You're welcome.

1. Lizard Defense
Go ahead and laugh. I know. My fear of lizards is ridiculously insane. But it is what it is and that is why my husband bought me this magical liquid for Mother's Day. That's right. This was a Mother's Day present and I squealed with happiness as I unwrapped it because I am that psycho. Brandon can buy me this stuff for every Mother's Day from here on out and I will not complain. Please don't talk to me about how lizards are beautiful creatures that contribute to our lives by eating mosquitos.

Not buying it.

I am sure this is nothing more than $17 sugar water but I don't even care. Five weeks have passed since unwrapping it and my bottle is empty (see? psycho.) and Brandon is all "Didn't I just buy that bottle?" And I am all "Do you not know your wife? Spraying this on every square inch of the outside of our home is now part of my morning routine. I have only seen three lizards since May 13th. That is all the evidence you need, husband, so Lizard Defense is now added to our subscribe and save order on Amazon.


2. My Backpack Purse
I dont know if this is insanely genius or nerdy, but I am in love with this thing and my right shoulder is in love with it too because it is no longer screaming at me at the end of the day for the 436 items disproportionately weighing it down.  It is amazing what happens when you take all of that weight and even it out across both sides. I am a new person and I have only been carrying it a week. And if your vote is that I have jumped head first into Nerdville, well, let it be so.




3. Next Right Thing Podcast
I have been following Emily P. Freeman for several years and while I love most of the work she throws out into the world, her podcast is my favorite. The filter for anything she creates is that it must "create space for your soul to breathe." I think we could all use a bit of soul rest right about now, don't you think? Emily's voice is sooooo calming and the episodes are short (10-15 minutes), yet make you think deep. Each episode is somehow my new favorite. Episode #39 titled "Don't Give Your Critic Words," was especially powerful, and I have thought on this idea for weeks since listening to it.  




4. Individual Shoe Bins
I'm probably late to the game with this life hack but man, oh man, this is saving me. Other than mommy and daddy, all shoes are kept in the laundry room. Each child has exactly zero pairs of shoes stored in their closet. Walk in the door? Drop your shoes into your individual shoe bin. Walking out the door? Grab a pair as you walk to the car. No longer am I finding shoes strung all around the house or continually walking flip-flops back to my child's closets. Why in the world would one want the chore of constantly losing shoes and having to take them back to a closet 248x a day?

Clara's bin on the left. Camille's bin in the middle. Parents bin is on the right (which is more for storing Brandon's work-in-the-yard or bum around shoes, because we are responsible humans when it comes to shoes whereabouts). No more "MOOOOOMMMMMY DO YOU KNOW WHERE MY SHOES ARE? I CAN'T FIND THE OTHER SHOE, MOMMY!"

I bought three of these to get the job done. Shout out to Chip and JoJo for helping a mama out. While they aren't cheap (I had a gift-card, don't judge) I figure they are visually appealing and can easily be repurposed once my children are Camille is no longer in need of shoe storage assistance.

(Obviously, Clara needs help putting on/taking off her shoes. It is pretty cute though as when we arrive home, and she walks into the house, she knows to stop and wait for me. I say "shoes!" and she will stop and wait for me to assist. Love her. And I love Camille too, for the record.)



5. Messy Dresser Drawers
I am a type-A personality on many levels. That is no shock to many of you. But there is one area of which I am overly type-B and I don't even care. It is actually freeing to the A portion of my personality to lean a little more B. This area would be dresser drawers. The state of these drawers does not ruffle my feathers even a tiny bit. Why, for the love, would I take time to fold clothes when the effort will be undone in approximately .4 seconds when my children Camille decides to "find a new outfit." Granted, a lot of our clothes are hung in our closets, but the stuff in the drawers? A hot mess. An amazing hot mess because it takes us .2 seconds to put away the laundry and keeps mama from losing her mind when my children Camille thinks it's adorable to play musical pajamas before bed.


Camille's pajama drawer

Clara's pajama drawer 

My pajama drawer 

6. Sparkling Water - Filled Wine Glass
I won't lie. I enjoy a nice glass of wine from time to time. There is nothing wrong with an occasional glass or even a nightly glass, but for me, I don't prefer to drink nightly. However, I need something other than boring water at the end of the day and while I would love to sip on a warm cup of coffee as I am cuddled up in my blanket relaxing on the couch, I don't want to be awake at 4:00am.

Enter sparkling water, poured into a wine glass.

I know, I know. Many of you are sparkling water-haters (I won't call you out, but you know who you are), but for all of you Lacroix lovers out there, this one is for you. Or for anyone who just needs something other than lame water at the end of the day.

Pick your favorite wine glass. Below are my favorites.

Fill said wine glass with a generous amount of crushed ice.

Follow with sparkling water of choice.

Relax on the couch and pat yourself on the back because you are not drinking wine, or coffee, or soda, or whatever you're go-to-but-shouldn't-drink of choice is at the moment. And give yourself another pat for upping your water game.

How cute are these? Anything is more fun in a cute cup. 


Current favorite 

Another favorite 
See? Much more fun. 
7. Girls Nights 
Brandon's business trips come in waves and right now we are in a busy season. In an effort to offset Witching Hour Crazy Town, the three of us left at home have Girls Night. On Girls Night many of the typical house rules go out the window. 

We start about 5:00pm with a movie and dinner in the living room eating whatever in the world you want. Literally. You want to eat leftover queso with a spoon with a side of yogurt and processed macaroni and cheese? Sure. You want a granola bar with a side of nilla wafers? You got it. Lays potato chips with princess shaped goldfish crackers? Game on. Please see pictures below to reference said food choices. For the record, Camille only ate one of those grapes and I didn't even attempt to have her eat a second because #girlsnight. 

Girls Night also involves skipping baths (haha jk, like we take baths every night) and the little people going to bed by 7:15pm and mama landing on the couch with a book or episode of House Hunters or Drop Dead Diva (#addicted) and wine glass full of Lacroix (refer to #6).  

The next time your spouse is gone just do yourself a favor and implement Girls Night. Or Boys Night. Or whatever title combo fits. Throw out the rules and unload some of that self-induced pressure when you're parenting solo. You can always eat broccoli when your spouse gets back into town. 



Oh yeah, she also ate a hawaiian roll this particular night. After the queso and mac and cheese. 

Clara pumped about her nilla wafters. 


What random things are keeping you sane this summer?

3 comments

  1. I'm dying over the lizard defense- that is too funny!! Glad it seems to be working at least :) So my type B drawer is my underwear drawer... I see no point in folding it. I struggle with keeping any of the other drawers messy because (a) I'm a psycho and (b) everything gets wrinkled! Do you not have that problem or does it just not bother you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just doesn't bother me. I'd rather have wrinkles in their clothes than get mad 500x a day when Camille goes in "searching" for something and makes a disaster out of it. Rather it just be a disaster to begin with lol!!

      Delete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.