Monday, May 21, 2018

He Who Dwells Rests (aka My Mother's Day Tattoo)

 “Jesus saved my soul, but His word saved my mind.” - Christine Caine

 “The mind feasts on what it focuses on.” - Lysa TerKeurst

If I’m being honest, my greatest struggle is controlling my thoughts, my mind constantly on overdrive from anything and everything. Obsessions, replaying events and conversations, whether it be things I can control or those things I cannot. My mind never stops.  

At the end of last year God was so gracious to reveal Psalm 91:1 in new light. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” And it hit me. He who dwells rests. My ability to control my mind directly effects the level of mental rest I experience. I’m in control. I get to choose! This is so important to note... My ability rest is my own choice.


Am I dwelling on God’s word and His promises and His past faithfulness? Or am I dwelling on my circumstances, other people and their lives and their choices, or anything else that ultimately is draining my energy and my joy? The former brings rest. The later just a never ending road to exhaustion. 





Twenty years from now will I regret inking up my wrist? Who knows. I also realize that getting a tattoo will not magically make all of my issues disappear. I am not a robot after all. I am a human with real emotions and real flaws. However, I can say with full certainty that I have never once regretted purposefully engaging the promises of scripture. And it’s pretty hard not to engage with permanent ink on your dominant hand. 

He who dwells rests.

Rest, both physical and mental is a choice, regardless of circumstances and regardless of what’s going on around me. Going all in. Who’s with me?





Also, a tattoo artist who loves Jesus (and comes to your house!!) and prays over you before she begins her work? Pretty awesome. Thank you Kiren, @Thecaptivatedcanvas! Your work was the icing on my cake this Mother's Day. 

Post a Comment

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.