Thursday, December 3, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015 . . . "Island Style"

We spent four nights, four days on Galveston Island last week with Brandon's family to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday. Brandon's family has been renting a beach house every Thanksgiving since he was about four years old. He has so many memories over the years of cousins playing together, fishing, and turkey eating. It is a good thing this has been his family tradition and not mine considering he can remember everything from his childhood and I can hardly remember details from a trip I took a month ago. WHAT HAS MOTHERHOOD DONE TO MY BRAIN?

Moving on. . .

The beach house getaway is a long standing tradition that is fun to continue as we now have children of our own. We always look forward to our Island Thanksgivings every other year. Lots of family. Lots of laughter. Lots of children going bananas. Lots of eating. And not a lot of sleeping (because toddlers). Oh, and I wish I could show you the video of the kids attempting the whip & nae nae on night one. I can't even handle it.

A few pictures of our time in Galveston. . .

Boat rides. . .






The littles kept leaning over the side skimming the water with their nets. . . Insert nervous face here.




This one fell in love with boat riding and anytime she walked by the boat all weekend she would ask in a very loud and energetic voice, "RIDE??? RIDE??? PLEASE!!"






"Mom, you and my lifejacket are squishing my face. . . "


Cutie cousin, Eli . . .




Speaking of nervous face, Camille kept wanting to walk around the front of the boat. You are not even two years old child can you please SIT DOWN while the boat is in motion???






Lots of hammock lounging. . .




Turkey gingerbread house making. . . 



Sweet sisters just hanging out. . . 


Fishing. . .





Josiah caught a crab. . . I think the look on my face conveys "This is so cool, Jo, but also kind of nasty."

And because a crab was caught, Uncle B had the idea to make crab cakes. . . farm to table right here folks. . .




And in between all the boating and fishing and crab cake making, there was a lot of just enjoying. . .





Clara getting her trail mix on. . .

Was a fun few island days, indeed! Oh, and then we came home to this scene. . . My parents are so hilarious and set this yard art up in our yard while we were away (from my childhood that they were so generously passing on to my kids or that they were just wanting to get out of their attic. . . one of the two). Camille is still a little unsure of the whole thing. . .





Another Island Thanksgiving in the books!

Post from Galveston Thanksgiving 2013

4 comments

  1. Looks like a great time was had, daredevil toddlers, sleeplessness, 80s yard decor, and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I love that your parents set that up while you were gone! You should totally keep it ;) glad you guys had a happy Island Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man. That looks like such a fun weekend! Those pics of Camille were cracking me up. She is quite the character! ;)

    P.S. Mom brain: It's most definitely a thing. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what fun!! The water must have been really high- that pier that the boy is fishing on is totally underwater!! So funny!! Are Clara's glasses new? Or am I just really unobservant? Either way, I love them- she looks so grown up (sorry, I hate when people say that about Millie...)!! With that fabulous messy top knot and those glasses...she could be a college girl!

    ReplyDelete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.